Thursday, February 2, 2012

Round 3

Mayhaps I'll try this thing again. Round three. Definitely not the last. And I like the word "mayhaps".

Also, not that it's February and I've heard everybody's New Years Resolutions, I decided that I should probably create some of my own. Better late than never, right? The thing about resolutions...I hate them. Generally people can't even keep one of the giant list they flaunt by 5 p.m. on January 1st. Some friends have set reasonable goals that I am fully prepared to support them on. Others have made statements that I have no doubt will/have already failed. All in all I think having low expectations for myself is the best course of action.

1. Be Healthier - general statement. Eat less shit. Do more things. Mini-goals include running CrazyLegs and the Fort Half (which I will sign up for as soon as I am financially able to heighten the chances that I actually fun it). Mainly I just want to maintain the ability to run so that next year I can use it as a stress reliever; because god knows I'll need it. Also, (and yes, this makes me a horrible person) I hate that people I could run circles around in high school are now kicking my ass when it comes to working-on-our-fitness. I'd like to close that gap a bit. And maybe any personal goals I meet will convince my dear father to stay healthy enough to run around with my theoretical future children (very theoretical...like roughly 10 years from now).

2. Stress Less - Hopefully the running will help this. I'm also enrolled in a Rest and Relaxation class that meets twice a week. So far I think I'm doing pretty well - I can control my breathing at least. We have to journal for that class as well, although I'm not sure what we'll be expected to write about. Maybe I'll keep actually journaling. Who knows. God forbid I actually keep up with a blog. But blogs aren't therapeutic. At least mine would never be. Anyways... I'd like to master the ability to keep my stress under control because without it I may go crazy next year. Or in a couple months. Who knows. I'm not good with taking on the world alone, and since I'll likely be halfway across the country without seeing anybody I care about for months and months at a time I feel like my general well-being will be greatly improved it I can prevent a mental breakdown. Just thinking about it is stressing me out.

3. Be genuinely interested in everyone I talk to - Recent events/watching waaaaay too much trashy TV with Karen has made me realize that the majority of the human race is unpleasant. Publicly and privately I find myself becoming disgusted with people...because they're being mean. I've watched my friends tear up from mere text messages that they would never dream of responding to. I've been shocked into silence by comments made about the choices my friends and family have made. So, I'm going to do everything in my power not to make the same slip-ups. I'm not perfect, I know that, I'm not any better than the rest of humanity, but I'm going to try to reduce the amount of stress I impose on others.

4. Spend Less Money - aka spend as little as possible. I'm *lots of money* in debt. Then add on the approximate $40K of debt for grad school. And the fact that I was awarded a wonderful 2 solid hours of work a week this semester. And probably won't be able to work full-time this summer. Yaaaaaaaay grow-up problems. So to solve such problems, I will buy no clothing (except a pair of pants...I really want a pair of skinny jeans that flaunt my body like no other, and a new pair of running shoes come May or June). I will by no junk food. I'm starting to buy tea instead of soda for caffeine because it's cheaper - still having trouble with finding a tea I truly like, though. I will by no junk food....less junk food...I'm giving it up for Lent so maybe that will help. I will eat a meal that does not come from my fridge once a week, no more, no less. I will eat smaller portions so as so make the food last longer. I will find things to sell. I will work 2 or 3 jobs this summer. Hopefully. Skimpin' like a boss.

5. Call Family More - Self-explanatory, call family more. Mostly in reference to my grandparents, because of all that's happening there. Plus then I can maintain my status as an awesome granddaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment